Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cursed by Jennifer Armentrout

Cursed
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Dying sucks--and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?
But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.


Cursed 

Jennifer Armentrout is an Author that won my heart the moment I opened Obsidian ( Book #1 in the Lux series ) I then went on to read EVERY book I could find of hers. And loved them all. They were all so unique, and full of ideas I hadn't really touched on much in YA.

That was a bit of what let me down with Cursed :/ The "touch of death" theme is something I have seen multiple times. There were a few unique aspects to the story that I enjoyed and held me through, but in the back of my head I kept thinking " read it, read it, read it. "

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed Cursed. 3 stars is NOT a bad rating. It just wasn't as amazing as I wanted.

Things that I liked about Cursed were:

The characters! Ember was such a strong character and person. Having gone what she has, and SURVIVING, holding on and still fighting for a good life for her and her sister, it's a trait I love to see in YA books.

Her sister Oliva was freaking ADORABLE. I mean really.. I feel for Ember..How do you say " no, you can't raise your dead hampster Squeaky back from the dead." to a face like that!
- I was heartbroken that Oliva wasn't more present in the story. She was always in the background, and topic of conversation, But I feel like she wasn't actually ACTIVE in the story as much as I would have liked. 

Then there was Hayden ... ooh Hayden >.<  I feel like I was able to feel Ember's emotions right along with her. You can't help but fall for Hayden.. but there is always a little bit of.. hesitation. With good reason!

I also really enjoyed the pacing in this story, starts out light, and gradually grows to an explosive ending!

My only real problem was that I couldn't get over the " read it " feeling. But not everyone may feel that way! I do recommend Cursed, as I would recommend ANY Jennifer Armentrout books. I would just say if you have already read some "touch of death" stories, be a bit wary.. but if it interests you? GO FOR IT.

Rating 3.5/5

 

17 comments:

  1. Uggh! I need to read all of Armentrout's other books! I've heard nothing but great things about all of them, but I still haven't gotten to them. >.< And great reveiw! I also don't like it when one of my favorite characters doesn't get as much of the spotlight than I would have preferred. I've also read a lot about the 'touch of death', so it's not a new concept to me, either. Fantastic and honest review!
    Cheers!

    Millie @ Millie D's Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Millie... Do it.. DO IT NOW!!!! Start with either Obsidian ( aliens ) Or Half-Blood (Mythology ) - Or you could read Daimon first for some backstory on that series :D BUT DO IT!

      Delete
  2. I've heard many of mixed reviews for Cursed. I personally, adored this book, but I can see you're reasonings. The touch of death aspect is a little overdone nowadays, and while the story wasn't as unique as the rest of JLA's books, I agree with you on Ember and Hayden character. They were great! I loved their tension and their overall relationship. And YES, Olivia was just adorable! Loved her as well. Great review, Michelle! Honest and very well written! Glad to have you back! DON'T EVER LEAVE AGAIN!! <3

    Jessirae xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *huggles* I won't leave you!! and YES Olivia! I kinda want her to have her own little novella.. It could include Squeaky! lol

      Delete
  3. Cursed was actually one of my books I regretted not reading in 2012. I own it just haven't read it yet. Good review though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had it for A LONG time too lol. I felt horrible! But it never "called to me" until recently.

      Delete
  4. Yep. This settles it, all your reviews are awesome. I love the Lux series. Jennifer's writing & stories pulled me in just like you said, but so far the Lux books are the only ones I've had a chance to read. I was a little worried about the touch of death part that you mentioned which still has me a bit hesitant, but the characters sound like they might be enough to balance that out for me so I'd still definitely give it a try. Great review! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was definitely a few characters that held it together for me :) Interested to hear your thoughts when you get to it!

      Delete
  5. This one is at the end of my to read stack! I didn't really want to read it because I didn't think it would live up to my JLA expectations. I'm going to give it a shot though, hopefully I end up liking it. Great review :)

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was near the end of mine too lol. Totally picked it up randomly for something different. It did help get me out of my reading funk, it just didn't totally wow me.

      Delete
  6. I agree...it did feel kind of familiar. I liked it too, but there was just something blah about it. I just finished the Covenant Series last night. About to download Elixir and omg I just loved it. I read and reviewed that series in a week haha. I just discovered JLA not too long ago and have read almost all her books. The Lux series is fantastic too. Who do you like better Daemon or Aiden? I can't choose!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choose? CHOOSE?! I don't choose sides! lol.. I love them both ... * whispers Daemon*

      Delete
  7. I felt the exact same way about Cursed! I just wasn't super impressed with it and I expected to love it since it's by JLA. I wanted more of Olivia too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda think that she just needs to stick to writing stories that are not of the Norm for YA :) I mean Aliens? Never would have thought I would love that kinda Sci fy book lol.

      Delete
  8. I love JLA but haven't read Cursed yet because I'm scared I won't like it as much at the Lux or Covenant series. They are so good how can you compare to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true.. It didn't compare for me.. But it was also Very different from her other books, so I almost forgot it was JLA that was the author for awhile!

      Delete
  9. I have only read Obsidian so needless to say I need to grab some more of her books. I don't think I've read any 'touch of death' stories...or maybe I've forgotten them so I may check this one out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !