Monday, January 30, 2012

January Rundown


 So I have decided that at the end of every month I will try to do quick- blub like reviews- on books that I read throughout the month, yet did not manage to do a full review on. Some of these I will revisit and if I can give them the full review they deserve. But It would be overwhelming to tell myself I have to do a full review on EVERY book I read. 

There is truely no rhyme or reason as to why I didn't get around to the full reviews of these titles, I simply am new to the blogging world still, and not terribly organized. FORGIVE ME!? I hope my quick little incites about my feelings on these books helps even in a little way on you deciding whether or not the book is for you. 

Don't like the quick reviews? Tell me in the comments, I can take ( kind ) criticism :) 


paper back, First, 266 pages
Published December 6th 2011 by Entangled Publishing

 Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

 If I don’t kill him first, that is.

5/5

I don't branch out to the sci fi side of YA as much as I would like. However this book seriously has be wondering " Why the heck not!"  Fun and addicting. I loved that the main character was also a book blogger on the side ( not a huge part in the book, but it's fun to hear about her I.M.M's and waiting on Wednesdays ) Also Daemon. Well the description above is fairly accurate, stab worthy, yet, swoon worthy at the same time! I found myself laughing out loud many times. The banter between the two MC's is highly entertaining. And Dee, Daemon's sister: upbeat, perky ( sometimes overly so ) and desperately wanting "normal" friends. I couldn't help but love her. While full of love hate romance this story also kept me on my toes with the Alien action. I thrill ride I couldn't put down! 

I NEED book #2

- side note ( great for fans of the tv show Roswell ! )




Hardcover, US, 374 pages

Published January 3rd 2012 by Harper Collins

 Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers abarbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY




This book threw me in confusion at times, and captivated me at others. Intriguing and compelling, UTNS takes us through the story of someone who has never knows true fear, pain, love, or real life in general. Then is suddenly thrust "outside" to fend for herself.  In the back of my mind I think of this as a unique blend of stories, reminiscent of   the uglies series, Graceling and A little bit of the TV show Caprica mixed in. Note the word "Unique" while the idea still lingers, I never felt like it was overpowering. 

Full of Adventure and action this book tugged at me until I turned the last page. I found myself connecting with each character in a different way and feeling for them as they traversed the dangerous outside world together.

I can't lie; At times the ideas confused me. Felt complicated. But. Overall it still held my attention, and that won it over for me. 

4/5

Hardcover, 323 pages
Published March 2nd 2010 by Hyperion Book CH

 Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters. 


By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

 3.5/5 

Lighthearted and fun, yet with a strong underlying darkness.

Make sense? It was charming. I found myself comfortably following along. Laughing often, and gripping the pages just enough. No it was not the most intense book on witchcraft I have read. But not all have to be. I found the MC unsure and realistic. The supporting characters well done and either highly amusing and engaging, or annoying and strangle worthy- ( in the well written , they were meant to be - kinda way ) I will definitely be picking up book #2 and seeing where Rachel Hawkins takes the characters. Hoping for some more action without straying to far away from the original feel.

2 comments:

  1. "But It would be overwhelming to tell myself I have to do a full review on EVERY book I read."
    - I totally understand this sentiment! Don't feel pressured to review everything as I'm sure you need the time to do something else too LOL. And I do love it that you're still willing to do these short reviews.

    I've only read Hex Hall, and all I have to say is don't pick up #2 if you can't stand the wait to get to #3 LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried Under The Never Sky(read about 1/4 of the book), but I didn't like it very much...
    That Lux novel sounds fantastic. And she's a book blogger? Lol :)
    But only 266 pages? Short, very short. Still I've high hopes :)
    Thanks for the reviews!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments :) Feedback,recommends, you name it !